- “Toward a Cultural Theory of Gaming: Digital Games and the Co-Evolution of Media, Mind, and Culture” Popular Communication, 4(3), 185-202, 2006
- “Building Coherent Plots in Interactive Fiction, IEEE” Intelligent Systems, Nov/Dec 1998.
- Asking what is possible: the Georgia Tech Approach to Games Research and Education co-authored with Ian Bogost, Michael Mateas, and Michael Nitsche, International Digital Media and Arts Association Journal, 2(1), pp 59 – 68, 2005
- “K12 Network: Global Education Through Telecommunications” Communications of the AMC, 36(8), 1993
- Abhishek Nandakumar, Janet Murray. . “Companion Apps for Long Arc Tv Series: Supporting New Viewers in Complex Storyworlds with Tightly Synchronized Context-Sensitive Annotations,.” In TVX ’14: 2014 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video, 2014.
- Eversman, Dillon, Timothy Major, Mithila Tople, Lauren Shaffer and Janet Murray. “United Universe: A Second Screen Transmedia Experience “ In TVX ’15 2015 ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video. Brussels, Belgium: ACM, 2015.
- Silva, Pedro, Yasmin Amer, William Tsikerdanos, Jesse Shedd, Isabel Restrepo and Janet Murray. “A Game of Thrones Companion: Orienting Viewers to Complex Storyworlds Via Synchronized Visualizations.” In ACM TVX15. Brussels Belgium: ACM, 2015.
- Jean Ho Chu, Paul Clifton, Hank Blumenthal, Abhishek Nandakumar, Balasubramanium Ganapathi, Janet Murray, Ali Mazalek. “Universal Threshold Object: Designing Haptic Interaction for Televised Interactive Narratives.” In TEI ’15- 9th Annual Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction. Stanford University, 2015.
- “Don’t Open That Door: Designing Gestural Interactions for Interactive Narratives.” TEI ’13: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction
- “Transcending Transmedia: Emerging Story-Telling Structures for the Emerging Convergence Platforms.” EuroiTV’12: Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Interactive TV and Video.
- “Story-Map: iPad Companion for long-form TV narratives,” Janet Murray, Sergio Goldenberg, Kartik Agarwal, Tarun Chakravorty, Jonathan Cutrell, Abraham Doris-Down, Harish Kothandaraman. EuroiTV’12: Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Interactive TV and Video (50%).
- “Mapping seduction: Traditional Narrative Abstractions as Parameterized Story Systems,” ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference, November 2011, Atlanta, GA
- “Why Paris Needs Hector and Lancelot Needs Mordred: Using Traditional Narrative Roles and Functions for Dramatic Compression in Interactive Narrative,” International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling (ICIDS), November 2011 Vancouver, CA
- “StoryLines: An Approach to Navigating Multisequential News and Entertainment in a Multiscreen Framework” with Sergio Goldenberg, Kartik Agarwal, Abraham Doris-Down, Nachiketas Ramanujam, International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment (ACE11), Lisbon, Portugal November 2011
- “Did it make you cry? Creating Dramatic Agency in Immersive Environments.” Virtual Storytelling 2005, Strasbourg France, Springer.
- “Dramatic Agency in Story-Games,” Panel on the Story-Game, SIGGRAPH 2001, Los Angeles, August 2001. (Position paper in Proceedings)
- “InTEL: Interactive Toolkit for Engineering Learning: Contextualizing Statics Problems to Expand and Retain Women and URM Engineers” ASEE Proceedings July 2011 (with Sue Rosser, Laurence Jacobs, Christine Valle, John Leonard, et al)
- “Interactive Narrative: Stepping into Our Own Stories”. CHI ’98: CHI 98 Cconference Summary on Human Factors in Computing Systems